Thursday, December 18, 2014
Thanks so much to everyone who took part in Genghis Con 2014 and made it our best show yet - we had a record turnout. We couldn’t ask for a better group of exhibitors, volunteers and the fantastic staff at the Lake Erie Building, plus everyone else who helped us along the way, like the Root, Barrio, CIA, Jakprints, Mahalls…
If you get a chance, be sure to check out our album of photos from the show on Facebook, taken by our buddy Yoshi Andrego at Turnstyle Films. Speaking of which, thanks to everyone who was able to come out to the Draw Hard / Root Hog or Die screening.
There’s still quite a while in between now and then, but we’re happy to say that the seventh annual Genghis Con will be held at the Lake Erie Building, November 29th, 2015. Mark your calendars and watch thegenghiscon.com for more details in the months to come. If you have any comments, questions or concerns, as always feel free to drop us a line - genghisconcleveland at gmail.
See you next year!
Kevin and John,
Genghis Con Crew
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
GENGHIS CON 2014,
CLEVELAND, OHIO - Genghis Con, the Small Press and Underground Comics Convention, will be returning to Cleveland for its sixth year this November with some exciting changes. For the first time, Genghis Con will be held at the spacious Lake Erie Building (13000 Athens Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107) from 2pm to 7pm on Sunday, November 30th. In addition to a new location, the show will be free to attend, dropping the admission charge of years past. The convention brings together the best and the brightest creators of the region for a day of celebrating comics and zines. The new Lakewood location promises a larger number of exhibitors than ever before.
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 30TH
AT THE LAKE ERIE BUILDING
With as much that is new, Genghis Con is still tied to its established tradition of showcasing the talented artists, writers, and cartoonists drawn from across the rust belt and beyond on the weekend after Thanksgiving. The focus continues to be placed squarely on the art and language of comics, visual storytelling, and all print media.
After a hallmark year in 2013, expect to see several of last year’s additions to the show continue in 2014. Genghis Con will again be held on Sunday, and the event will be open to the public from 2pm to 7pm. Local podcast Comics Are Go! will return to host an episode from the convention floor.
Moving Genghis Con to the West Side will cast a different light on the show while still embracing a distinctively “Cleveland” feel. The Lake Erie Building, also known as the Screw Factory, is an old automobile factory that has since become the home of artist studios and is an active exhibition space. Located near Madison and W117th, the Lake Erie Building is easily accessible by public transit and by car, with plenty of on-site parking. Beginning at 3pm, Barrio will have their award-winning food truck parked outside, serving gourmet tacos (and yes, plenty of vegetarian and vegan options will be available).
The festivities will begin on Saturday night, with a kickoff party at Mahall’s 20 Lanes (13200 Madison Ave, Lakewood, OH 44107 - within walking distance of the Lake Erie Building). Headlining this event will be a double-feature of comics documentaries: Root Hog or Die, about the 25 year career of cartoonist John Porcellino’s beloved self-published King Cat series; and Turnstyle Film's Draw Hard, which turns the camera on Cleveland cartoonist/illustrator John G. Both artists will be exhibiting at the convention on Sunday.
Admission to Genghis Con and the kickoff party will both be free. Visit thegenghiscon.com for further information. A growing list of guests and exhibitors can be found at genghisconcleveland.tumblr.com/exhibitors. Any artist interested in exhibiting is welcome to sign up for the waiting list found at genghisconcleveland.tumblr.com/exhibitors.
Small Press Underground Comic Convention
2pm - 7pm
Sunday November 30th, 2014
Lake Erie Building
13000 Athens Ave, Lakewood
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Updated October 30th
- Derf - derfcity.com
- Gary Dumm - dummart.com
- John G - ninepanelgrid.blogspot.com
- Jake Kelly - pavetheocean.blogspot.com
- John Porcellino - www.spitandahalf.blogspot.com
- Gregorgy Benton - gregorybenton.com
- Czap Books / Kevin Czapiewski - czapbooks.com
- Liz Valasco - vialcomics.blogspot.com
- Nathan Ward - nwardcomics.tumblr.com
- Jessi Zabarsky - jessiz.com
- Jack Reese - jackreese.tumblr.com
- 80 Proof Comix / Glenn Baskin - 80proofcomix.blogspot.com
- Brandon B. - drawbrandondraw.com
- Angela Oster - angelaoster.com
- Ashley Ribblett - aribblett.blogspot.com
- Frank Santoro - comicsworkbook.tumblr.com
- Don Simpson - megatonman.blogspot.com/
- Bob Corby - www.backporchcomics.com
- Nix Comics - www.nixcomics.com
- Nicholas Kostas Kratsas - www.snakesinthebasement.com
- Tymothi Godek - www.yellowlight.scratchspace.net
- Sarah Sobole - sarahsobole.com
- Cathy G. Johnson - www.cathyboy.com
- Kyle Kershner - www.kylekershnerillo.com
- Andrew Pena - www.blogger.com/penaillustrations.com
- Stud Muffin Zine & Distro - studmuffinzine.tumblr.com
- Little Green Squirrel - www.littlegreensquirrel.blogspot.com
- Justin Will - www.justinmichaelwill.com
- 2 Headed Monster Comics - www.2headedmonstercomics.com
- Sean M Dempsey - www.smdempseycomics.com
- Erika Lavin - raddishh.tumblr.com
- Bruce Worden - www.sketchsketchsketch.com
- Matthew Chojnacki - www.matthewchojnacki.com
- Alex Nall - alexnall.tumblr.com
- OOF! Comics and Animation - ooftheblog.tumblr.com
- DOWNPOUR / David Wilson - www.downpourcreative.com
- Oberlin Comics Collective - oberlincomicscollective.tumblr.com
- Kris Lachowski - www.meangoatcomics.com
- Amalia DeGirolamo - notamalia.blogspot.com
- Sequoia Bostick - sequoiabostick.blogspot.com
- Julia Eff - crapandemic.tumblr.com
- MC Wolfman - www.mc-wolfman.com
- Alexis Spanos - rapscallions.tumblr.com
- Chris Thornton - koalabones.tumblr.com
- Pat Kain - patkain.com
- Rust Belt Monster Collective - www.rustbeltmonster.com
- Jenn Lisa - jennlisa.tumblr.com
- Juan Fernandez - juanjosefernandez.com
- Max Bare - www.mysteryafoot.com
- John Bailey - www.radtodeath.com
- Cleveland Institute of Art - www.cia.edu
- Geek CLE - geekcle.com
- Cowboy House International - cowboyhouseinternet.com
- Bernie Crowsheet - superawesomecomics.blogspot.com
- Daniel Wyke - wykery.com
- Mike Kemp - doriandraws.prosite.com
- Steven Myers - fedscomic.blogspot.com
- Clare Kolat - www.clarekolat.com
- Tim Switalski - www.timswitalski.com
- MJ Robinson - kickintheeyes.tumblr.com
- One Percent Press - www.onepercentpress.com
- Nils Balls - www.skeletonballs.com
- Nate McDonough - grixly.tumblr.com
- KC Anderson - www.kcandersonillustration.com/wafflecus
* in no particular order
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Genghis Con 2014 will be held on Sunday, November 30th at the Lake Erie Building - Registration Now Open!
For the past five years on Thanksgiving weekend, Genghis Con has been a touchstone event for comics and independent print media in the North East Ohio region. From Pittsburgh to Columbus to Chicago, the region's most prolific comics creators and zinesters have converged on Cleveland to share their stories and artwork, and help foster an environment for the open dialogue about the nature of comics, storytelling, and the small press print medium. Genghis Con 2014 is primed to be another exceptional year with a couple of major changes to the show.
Big Change #1: Genghis Con is moving! The sixth annual small press and independent comics convention will be held from 2pm-7pm on Sunday, November 30th, 2014 (Thanksgiving weekend) at The Lake Erie Building (AKA: The Screw Factory), 13000 Athens Ave, at the south end of Lakewood, Ohio. This means we'll have a ton of extra space for even more exhibitors.
Big Change #2: We're getting rid of the $5 charge to get in! Genghis Con will now be FREE to all who wish to attend, making it an even better way to spend your post-Thanksgiving Sunday!
We'd like to take this opportunity to thank The Beachland Ballroom for all the support and giving us such a great home to launch Genghis Con and help it develop over the past five years. We encourage everyone to continue to support them, and enjoy all the awesome things The Beachland has to offer!
Those comics and zine makers interested in Exhibiting Genghis Con 2014, please head over to this REGISTRATION FORM.
Moving to a bigger space and making the show free for attendees means we have to make another big change, and so we will be charging a minimal fee for tables this year- $25 for 3', $50 for 6' of space.
We're excited for another amazing year. Help us spread the word and don't forget to register!